Friday, February 26, 2016

DON'T WORRY SO MUCH!!!

February 25, 2016

Hola Familia y Amigos,

This week Hermana Baird and I went on a little bit of an adventure.  As I've mentioned in the past, our area is HUGE.  Our apartment is located at the edge of town, basically at one end of our area.  There are still parts in the far corners that we have no information about because we've never been there and to our knowledge, none of the missionaries before us had been there either.   

So one afternoon we decided to take a trek out to the other side of our area.  We packed a snack and lots of pamphlets, left our house a little earlier than normal, and headed out to explore.  In our minds we were super excited, expecting to find a new little place with lots of houses full of humble people out in the campo that we could talk to and invite to church.  We walked for about an hour along the side of the highway and got a cool distant view of Bahia Blanca from the outskirts of town.  

Heading out to the boonies!

Bahia Blanca Skyline

Unfortunately, when we got all the way out there, all we found was bunch of campo (fields) and quintas - which are basically really nice vacation or weekend homes owned by the rich people from Bahia.  We talked to a couple people but most everyone either wasn't home or wasn’t interested.  Bummer, right?  Oh well, at least now we know what’s out there and had a fun time exploring. :) 

El Campo de Villa Floresta

This week we also made cinnamon rolls...don't ask me how because we didn't have a recipe.  We just kind of went off of what we've seen other people do! :)  But hey, they turned out super yummy!!  If you guys can't tell, we're really enjoying this whole "cook for yourself" thing.  Missionary Master Chef is going to turn me into a professional by the time I get home. ;) 

Cinnamon roll success!

We just LOVE heart-shaped food.
Can you believe this perfectly heart-shaped potato?

However, speaking of cooking....the other day we were making milanesas – that classic argentine dish.  It’s a very thin chicken fillet that is breaded and fried (basically a giant chicken nugget).  Anyway, my companion wasn't smart and put me in charge of flipping the chicken over in the skillet of really hot oil.  Let's just say it wasn't the best day for us to decide to wear each other’s clothes because as I was flipping one of the milanesas, it slipped off the fork and splashed oil all over Hna Baird's dress and a little on my foot. :(  I'm the worst, I know.  Haha, luckily we were able to wash it out quickly.  No stain, no harm, no foul I say, :) and my foot is fine too!  Gotta love those classic, clumsy Megan moments. 

Now to talk about the real missionary work... 

Okay to be honest with you guys, the work has been really slow and really challenging since I got to this area, and we really haven't been able to see much progress.  We have tried to help lots of less active members come back to the church and have invited our investigators time and time again to COME to church (even just once).  But as you have probably been able to tell by the lack of information I've given you, nothing has really happened.  

I'll be the first to admit that it’s been hard and I've been down on myself for a while. But lucky for me, I have a Heavenly Father who understands my needs perfectly and just in the moments I need it most, He gives me the boost I need.  

My boost this week came yesterday when we watched the broadcast of a missionary conference being held in Buenos Aires where Elder Bednar from the Quorum of the 12 Apostles spoke to all of the missionaries in this area.  He talked about a lot of things, but what helped me the most was what he shared about Joseph Smith's experience when he offered his first prayer as a teenage boy in the sacred grove.  Joseph did not pray to God to ask which church was true, he prayed to ask which church he should join.  He prayed with the intention to ACT.  

Too often in our lives we ask our Heavenly Father to do things for us or help us accomplish or overcome something without the intentions to act and do all we can with His answer.  Elder Bednar said, "We have to prepare ourselves and then act so that God has something to work with."  When he said that, in my mind I was thinking that just means that I have to work even harder…and to be honest that thought stresses me out a bit.  But then in speaking specifically to the sisters, Elder Bednar went on to say, "DON'T WORRY SO MUCH!  You're doing good.  Keep the commandments, obey the mission rules, honor your covenants, and God will help you.  You just need to pray with the intention to act and then help your investigators and members in your area do the same."  

A scripture found in Doctrine & Covenants Section 64 also brings me comfort, 

“Wherefore, as ye are agents, ye are on the Lord’s errand; and whatever ye do according to the will of the Lord is the Lord’s business.

But all things must come to pass in their time.

Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.  And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.”

As hard as it is sometimes to see the results of my labor here, I take comfort and peace in knowing that I'm doing what my Savior wants me and needs me to be doing.  I just need to trust in Him and be willing to act....and not worry so much. ;)  

I hope you all have a great week and know that I am praying for you every day.  Remember when things get hard to never give up.  Just keep going and trust that God will help you in your hour of need. 

Con mucho amor, 
Hermana Bartholomew 


Package HAPPY!!
YOU ARE THE GREATEST FAMILY EVER

No comments:

Post a Comment