Monday, June 27, 2016

Es un Mundo Pequeño (after all)

June 27, 2016

BUENOS DIAS FAMILIA Y AMIGOS!!

I hope you are all sitting down to read this because I’ve got a super crazy story coming your way...... LISTOS?!

Okay, so once upon a time, way back in December, I received an email from one of my friends telling me that Sam Ahlmer, another girl from our graduating class at Corner Canyon High School, had gotten her mission call to Bahía Blanca.  As you guys know, I've got a couple good friends from high school that are serving down here with me and we were all super excited to hear that another fellow Utahan (and CCHS Charger) was headed our way.  

Well, fast forward to Tuesday evening...I took a bus to Bahía and we stayed the night at the Hermanas apartment in the sector Hospital.  When we were there, they mentioned that they heard that Sam was coming in the group of newbies the next day.  I got super excited because I was going to be able to see her and surprise her too.  

So Wednesday morning, the Latino missionaries had already arrived and we started talking to them and getting to know them as we waited for President Cifuentes to arrive with the Yankees (because their plane got delayed).  I still had no clue who my hija [daughter/trainee] was going to be and was just super nervous and excited to find out.  Finally in walks President with the newbies from the States, and I immediately saw Sam and quickly went over to say hi give her a big hug!  As we were freaking out a bit, President just looks at us and goes, "Wait, you guys know each other?!"  Haha yep!!  We went to school together!

Next, we ate breakfast and then had some orientation meetings – the trainers were in one room and the newbies were in another room separate from us.  Finally, we went into the chapel and the assistants to the President put up a slideshow reveal of who would be training who.  I sat on the trainer’s bench just shaking to death with anticipation.  As you all have probably guessed by now, I was SHOCKED out of my mind when I found out that my hija is HERMANA AHLMER!!!!!  Like, what?!?! 

She looks nothing like her mother ;)
Are we really in Argentina right now??
Didn't we just graduate together?!?!  This is too weird, I still can't believe it!!


So after freaking out some more, President looks at us and says, "That was pure inspiration, I had no idea you guys knew each other."  

Last week when I found out I was going to be training, at first, I really wanted to have a Latina hija because I felt inadequate and scared to train a Yankee.  But, in that moment, I was able to really feel the Spirit and know that as crazy as this all is, that it’s part of God's plan for me and Hermana Ahlmer.  I know there's a reason we got put together to be companions and I'm super excited and honored for the chance to be her mom, teach her all I know (which isn't very much, but oh well), and also learn from her.  

I'll be honest with you all, I really feel like I have no clue what I'm doing, but we're just gonna keep on keepin’ on and pray lots these next few weeks and months. :) 

We're still getting settled in and introducing my new comp to all the investigators and members so it’s going to be a bit crazy these first couple weeks…especially because she can't understand much.  Haha poor thing.  Been there, done that.  I'm just glad I can help her feel good and happy - even if she has no clue what's going on. ;) 

Starting off on the right foot ;) hahaha

First rainy P-day for my hija
Welcome to Olavarria...and winter in Argentina

Well, I hope you all have a great week!! I love and miss you all; and thank you for all of your love and support!!! We've got an adventure ahead folks... 

Con amor y pan, 


Hermana Bartholomew

No comments:

Post a Comment