Monday, June 6, 2016

Opposition in All Things

June 6, 2016

Hola Familia y Amigos!!

So this week I found another hidden talent of mine when Hna. Cardenas asked me if I have ever dyed someone's hair before.  Haha…NOPE!  But she has an unhealthy level of trust in me and I just smiled and acted like I knew what I was doing. :)  Luckily, it didn't turn out too bad and she still loves me! :)  So yeah, that was fun!

Oh, the things you learn to do on a mission!

On the bright side of this week, we were able to find and teach many new investigators that have lots of potential.  We really have our hands quite full but we are enjoying being able to help all of these people - investigators and less active members alike.  

Now for some not so great news... 

On Friday, we went to visit Elvira and had planned to teach her a lesson and then plan out some of the details of her baptism that we had set for this coming week on June 11.  When we got to her home, she said, “I’m so sorry, but I invited a friend over to join us today, is that okay?”  We eagerly replied, “YES, of course!!”  Elvira explained that her friend, Alejandra, was struggling a bit in life and so she had told her that she knew two chicas [girls] that could help her.  :)  So we talked a bit with Alejandra and were able to teach her about God’s Plan of Happiness for our lives, and the restoration of Christ’s Church.  When we finished teaching, Elvira told Alejandra that she knew that everything we were teaching was true.  It was awesome!  Then, after Alejandra left we were able to talk to Elvira and work out the details for her baptism on the 11th.    We told her to invite her family and all of her friends and that we would see her in church on Sunday.  Todo bien, verdad? [Everything is good, right?]

Well, now fast forward to Saturday afternoon.  Hermana Cardenas and I were out knocking on doors and visiting people when we get a call from Elvira.  She started the call by saying that she wasn't going to come to church on Sunday.  Then she dropped the bomb that her husband doesn't want her to get baptized and also doesn't want us to come visit anymore.  She said, “Thanks for everything chicas, but we're just going to have to be friends and leave it at that.”  We asked if we could come by and visit her and talk about it more, but she basically asked us to kindly leave her alone.  

To say the least, we are heartbroken.  

In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Nephi talks about experiencing similar feelings of disappointment for those who rejected his teachings.  In 2 Nephi 33:2-4 we read,

“But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.

But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.

And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have [SPOKEN] in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good…and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.”

Saturday night, our pillows were wet as we thought about our dear friend Elvira and all the amazing times we had with her, helping her find the peace and happiness that can only come through having faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement.  Like Nephi, I know that the things Hermana Cardenas and I have SPOKEN in weakness to Elvira are of great worth – faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. 

Nephi’s father, Lehi taught that there must be opposition in all things.  Sometimes we need to remember that Satan is real and he will always work against us when we are doing something good.  Even with this knowledge, it’s still really hard to see Satan disrupt things when we have been working so hard to help our sister Elvira come to the truth.  I guess it is in these moments when we have to hold on to our testimonies, have faith in God, and work hard to fight back.  

Right now, my companion and I have to overcome the feelings of sadness, disappointment and even failure – because there are more souls to save.  We have to keep going, keep giving it our all until the very end.  That's what our Savior did for us, and is what our Heavenly Father has asked of us, and we aren't going to let Him down!

As hard as this week has been, I know that tomorrow is a new day and that my Heavenly Father is looking out for me.  Jesus es mi luz y no temerè!! [Jesus is my light and I will not fear!!]

Con todo mi amor, 


Hermana Bartholomew

Selfies to make up for not taking any pictures this week!

I LOVE this crazy Mexican companion of mine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment