Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Azul

November 21, 2016

Buenos Dias and Happy Thanksgiving Week!!!  Guess what??  I cheated and took out my Christmas tree and decorated it today...hahaha.  I couldn't wait any longer. ;)  I'll send the pics of it next week....because I'm going to buy a star to put on top. YAY! 

Well, like always, we had another crazy week!  But not in Olavarria.....in Azul!!  As part of my lideresa duties I did divisions this week; so Hermana Niz came to Olavarria to work with Hermana Quenta, and I went to Azul to work with Hermana Gonzalez.  I’ll be honest, it was nice to contact in an area where I don't feel like I’ve already knocked every door. ;)   But at the same time.... I REALLY MISSED Olavarria.  After spending half my mission here, I really don’t know what I’m going to do the day I actually have to leave!! ;) 

So yeah, I spent the week exploring "Blue" with Hermana Gonzalez and walked A TON.  The city is smaller than Olavarria but they are the only missionaries there, and for two people the area is pretty darn big!  But I had lots of fun with Hermana Gonzi. :)   Guys, you just have to meet her, she talks and talks…all day every day and just cracks me up!!!   

With Hermana Gonzalez in Azul

Argentine gaucho statue made from junkyard scraps :)

More junkyard art...
Do you see a resemblance? :)

It's like an Argentine flag that someone is holding...just in case you couldn't tell :)
Surprises around every corner in Azul...


It was a pretty normal week, except Hermana Gonzalez accidentally left their phone in the bus terminal and we called from a member's house in Azul to see if Hermanas Quenta y Niz could find it, but our luck was running low that day and it was lost.  So we had a week without a phone...and to be honest, it was quite peaceful, but a little hard to do missionary work without a phone.  Dad, how did you do it back in the olden days?? ;) 

Our contacting goal is going great.... it’s taking a lot of work and effort but I'm so excited that we are so close!!  I’ve already decided that I'm going to buy ice cream and pizza to celebrate when we hit 100!! :) 
Getting closer everyday...we are at 75, only 25 to go and we reach our goal!!!  YAY!
Check out this Argentina sweatband that Hermana Gonzalez gave me :)  LOVE IT!!
#workout motivation
This weekend, we helped out in another chapel open house here in Olavarria (the chapel in the area where the Elders here are working).  Claudia, Yael and Francisco came - because they weren't able to make it to ours a couple weeks ago - and they loved it!!  Right after, we headed over to our ward talent show with them where we died laughing!  
At the ward talent show with Yael and Francisco
Full house for the ward talent show
Cute Alberto sang a couple of folksongs de Argentina for his talent :)

I seriously love barrio Mariano Moreno so much!!  The members here are the BEST!  There were lots of musical numbers, dances and my companion and I told jokes!!!   Hahaha, I hope you can see the pics and video and just, well, enjoy! :) 





The best news from the week is Claudia, Yael y Francisco also came to church on Sunday!!!! YAY!!! I sat by Fran during sacrament meeting and he whispered to me, "Me encanta venir acà" (I love coming here), "Bartolome, una pregunta, donde venden corbatas?" (Bartholomew, question, where do they sell ties?), and "ya me quiero bautizar!" (I want to get baptized!)  This family is so ready and we are just hoping and praying that Claudia can feel the peace and receive her answer about the truthfulness of our message.  Please keep them in your prayers!!!

This week...is THANKSGIVING!!!!  Oh how I miss American holidays....so close but yet so far ;).   In the spirit of thanksgiving... i hope you all eat lots of turkey and pie and also read these scriptures about gratitude:

“That ye…take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.”  Alma 34:38

Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.”  Alma 37:37

“But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God, who giveth liberally; and that which the Spirit testifies unto you even so I would that ye should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving…”  DyC 46:7

“And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances…

Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth;

Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, or for houses, or for barns, or for orchards, or for gardens, or for vineyards;

Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;

Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul.

And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion.

And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.”  DyC 59:15-21 

I am so grateful for all that my Heavenly Father has given me…for my family (in Utah and Olavarria) ;) and friends that love and support me.  For the opportunity to serve HIM in Argentina and to be able to serve my brothers and sisters here.  I'm so grateful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know it’s true with my whole soul and wouldn't trade this experience for a plate full of delicious American food to celebrate! ;) 

Love you all and hope you have a great(ful) thanksgiving!!! 

Con amor y pavo, 


Hermana Bartholomew 

No comments:

Post a Comment