Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Peluquera Bartolome

November 14, 2016
Hola Familia y Amigos!!

¿Cómo están?  You know what is still so weird for me to think?  You are entering into winter up there in the U.S. and it’s like almost thanksgiving and Christmas and everything; and here...it’s just warming up more and more every day.  Ugh. I hate the heat!  :)
Well, this week was super crazy like always.  My companion had to go to Bahia Blanca to do her tramites (paperwork for her visa), so I got to travel over and be in a trio with the Hermanas in Azul!  
Our Trio in Azul
It was super fun, but I totally missed Olavarria and my hija. ;)  I really don't know what I'm going to do when have to leave this place for real.  Let's just not talk about it, I'm in denial.  Soy Olavarrience ahora. :)
Okay so when we were in Azul, I found a street named Olavarria and of course had to take a pic.  I love my city! :)  
In Azul the street named Olavarria!
We also ate with a member in Azul that is from Ecuador.  
My instant friend from Ecuador
She is from a town that I think was in Jessica’s same mission called Milagro.  Haha small world!  It was fun to hear her cute Ecuadorian accent (which is lots different from these Argentines) and to eat food from Ecuador too!  She fed us fried plantains and chicken served over rice – so good!
As you know, in the mission I've experienced a lot of "firsts" that have to do with hair... first time dying someone's hair, first time getting my hair died, and this week I added the first time CUTTING someone's hair to my list!!! ;)  Haha poor Hna. Niz.... I really don't know how the idea came up, but we decided to give her a little makeover and it looks SO GOOD.  
Hermana Niz Before

Hermana Niz After
I can't believe I just cut her hair!
I'm like shocked.  I was super nervous.  You'll have to wait to see the video of it after the mission. :) But even with all this hair experience, I don't want to be a real hairstylist... it’s just fun to play. :)
Well on to more important things.  So my companion and I weren't in our area for more than half of the week, which meant that we really had to step it up this last weekend when we were home to meet our goal for contacts.  Saturday morning we were out for a little over an hour in the street knocking doors and we had already done 7 contacts (our daily goal was 8), so we only needed one more before heading to lunch. 
We knocked a door and started talking with a middle-aged man about his day and life a little.  He was a talker and initially we saw lots of potential, but as he kept talking he started saying a bunch of bad things about us and what we were doing.  The Spirit immediately left, and I felt terrible.  I wanted nothing else but to leave his doorstep but he just kept talking about how we were born in one place and we shouldn't leave and try to help people in other parts of the world when there is so much we could do in our own family and town.  He finished by telling us to rethink why we are here and straight up said that God didn't send us here. 
Now, I don't tell you this story to feel bad for me, but it was a pretty hard moment. Before we walked away the tears started to stream and I felt a bit heartbroken.  In the Book of Mormon, we read the stories of many prophets and servants of the Lord who were rejected, and on Saturday I could relate with all of them!  As I was thinking about our conversation with the man, a verse of scripture came into my mind found in 3 Nefi 5:13 where Mormon says,
Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.
Thankfully, I have a strong testimony and I know why I'm here.  I know that my Heavenly Father has called me to serve his children here in Olavarria, and even though there are people that don't want to listen to what I have to say, I'm going to keep knocking on every new door I see (which aren't that many now considering I've been here for like 8 months ;) ) until I find those that are ready to listen and accept the blessing of the restored gospel in their life. 
I love being a missionary and don't want my time here to end.  EVER.  Haha just kidding I'll come home someday.  If not, you will all miss me too much. ;)
Hoping you all have a great week and stay warm!  (You know I will) ;)
Con amor y tijeras,

Hermana Bartholomew 

Some pictures from our last P-day and trip to the park:

A perfect Spring day to play in the park





Nothing like Pizza in the Park

No comments:

Post a Comment